OU Alumni Tells Truth About Opinions On Toxic Masculinity By Camryn Lutz

 

    For my offline interview I decided to interview my cousin who is an Ohio University Alumni. I interviewed my cousin. He was in a fraternity here at OU and I asked him a few questions about masculinities on this campus. The first question that I asked him was if he thought there was a problem with toxic masculinity around campus when he was going to school here. He answered with the words "not necessarily" which I found very interesting. He said that the people he hung out with and his fraternity didn't have a problem but he said that he saw it in other frats when he was out on the town at the bars. I then asked him if he ever felt like he had to do something because he was expected to do it by other boys in his fraternity and that question he answered easily with a yes. He said he felt he had to drink more or stay out longer if his “buddies” were also doing those things which is like peer pressure. Although I didn't interview her, I feel like it is important to add that his girlfriend was in the room, who also went to OU, and said that she saw a problem with toxic masculinities in some specific fraternities more than others. She said that "it's almost like they teach the pledges to be dicks" and I thought that was very interesting because when she said it my cousin was sort of shocked. I agreed with her completely.

     

Comments